Monday, October 19, 2009

Overheard in the Bathroom

So it's been months since the last post and even longer since I've posted with any regularity. I've been meaning to do it, but... Anyway, for reasons I'll explain later, it's time to resurrect the blog. To do that, I turned to a website my girlfriend just told me about for inspiration. That site is overheard in new york - a catalogue of comments and conversations overheard on the streets of new york (they also have an overheard at the office and an overheard at the beach version). It's mostly funny although it does feel a little contrived at times (but when you're messing around on the computer at eight o'clock p.m. - because you don't want to go downstairs and find out about the mess your kids just made in the playroom that you cleaned from nine to eleven a.m. - it's not staged enough to bother you). The best of craig's list can also be perfect in this situation. Inspired by the notion of blogging as simply reporting/recording the conversations of parenthood, I decided to share the following:

Sunday night, 8 p.m., just outside the bathroom door
Me: Xavier, please get in the bath tub
no response
Me: Xavier, I really want you to get in the bath tub.
no response
Me: Now!
no response
Me: You need to take a bath, what is going on in there?
no response
Me: Please... get... in... the... tub
Polly (the three year old): Xavier just get in the fucking bathtub.
Me: Polly, go to your room.
Xavier: Why? What'd she say? Mom, what did she do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm laughing!

rachel... said...

OMG! Brilliant! SO SO SO glad you're resurrecting your blog! Thinking of mustering some ambition to do the same with mine...

And I didn't know your son's name was Xavier! That is at the very top of my boy names list! Unless you mind...

Powered By Blogger